Identify an issue in your community that concerns you and how you would like to address it

Fashion News, Trends, Nigerian fashion, cultures, family, styles, clothing, Africa and Worldwide
Comment
Luvly31
Senior

February 22nd, 2018, 10:07 pm

Community.jpg
While applying for a volunteering position in an organization last year, there were series of questions that I needed to answer. And one of the questions was to identify an issue in my community that concerns me, and how i would like to address the issue.

We are surrounded with lots of problems and issues in our society and at large. And part of my aim in life is to be a philanthropist... So answering the question wasn't a difficult one for me. Cos I had already identified lots of issues around my community and making plans on tackling such issues the little way I can.
Below was my honest and heartfelt response.

The issue in my community that concerns me is the issue of teenage pregnancy. It is one of the bane that has confronted Africa as a whole.

One of the unique characteristics of a young female child in our society, is her desire and dependence on being loved and accepted by others, especially the opposite s3x. This desire has been exploited due to the fading/non-existent, character and values knit into our societies. It is imperative that these young girls are protected from such influences, situations and circumstances.
I would like to address this issue using the various methods listed below;

1. Communication
Preventing teenage pregnancy can come down to overcoming parent-child communication barriers. According to The National Campaign, directly or indirectly parents/guardians influence their decisions about s3x, love and relationships the most; even more than the media and their peers. Starting a conversation about s3x early and often may prove beneficial. There will be an awareness for parents/guardians where they will be encouraged to talk early and become 'askable' parents.

2. s3x Education
Kids will need to be taught comprehensive s3x education in their various schools. At the most basic level, kids need to receive sexual health instruction in order to make healthy choices about their physical relationships. In addition to classes, students can and will be able to seek out individual counseling sessions. The curriculum will cover self-esteem, setting sexual boundaries, and how to effectively use contraception.

3. Awareness
This should also be targeted at teenage boys, not just at the girls.
Michelle Nimmons, who leads the comprehensive s3x ed program, told NPR that Denmark’s approach recognizes that teen pregnancy is not just an issue for teen girls. Our society sometimes focuses on blaming girls for their bad choices without putting equal weight on boys’ responsibility.

4. Get the whole community involved.
This program will be both school-based and community-based. In addition to making sure students attend s3x ed classes, there would be partnership with local beauty shops, barber shops, and churches to spread the word about safe s3x. I'll ensure that there is information about birth control and pregnancy everywhere. We'll try to involve everyone — the churches, the schools, the businesses, the parents…so that everyone is sending the same messages to the kids.

5. Encourage mentoring.
The older teens/younger adults will be encouraged to
serve as mentors to their younger peers, particularly since not every adult in the community is comfortable broaching the issue of sexuality at home. Students will have the opportunity to meet together in smaller, one-hour or more focus groups to talk through topics related to teen sexuality and healthy relationships, and some will be specifically trained to act as peer educators. Hearing messages about safe s3x from peers is often more impactful than hearing it from adults.

In every way possible, let's try to be a problem solver. Let's impact lives. The little we have or know can go a long way.
Our society will be a better place if we all can stop being selfish and greedy. The lives we touch, not the money or fortune made, is more important.

Source; Luvly31

Please share...

J0E
Site Admin

February 22nd, 2018, 10:35 pm

I personally cannot agree less. We have rapidly declining moral standards and values. But most important I want to really second is the foundation built from home. When a building lacks good foundation then problem is bound to happen. s3x education is key. Parents need to tell their children the real truths rather than shun them away upon asking s3x-related questions.

And the beauty of it? Children will most likely trust their parents' answers. But when such answers are missing, then outsiders and peers fill the gaps with their own answers. Answers that will get your teen child pregnant very soon.

So parents, do not delegate your responsibility to strangers. Teach your pikin.
Humility is the first true attribute of a great man...
eMade
VIP VIP

February 22nd, 2018, 10:44 pm

Great points. Communication barrier need to be removed before parents can guide their children.
Learn more about ✓ VIP Members: https://www.bestnaija.ng/61848 ✓ Referral: https://www.bestnaija.ng/62508
Xplicit
Senior

February 23rd, 2018, 6:06 am

:good: :clap:
Visit JW.ORG today for life-saving Bible truths!
Luvly31
Senior

February 23rd, 2018, 9:15 am

J0E wrote:I personally cannot agree less. We have rapidly declining moral standards and values. But most important I want to really second is the foundation built from home. When a building lacks good foundation then problem is bound to happen. s*x education is key. Parents need to tell their children the real truths rather than shun them away upon asking s3x-related questions.

And the beauty of it? Children will most likely trust their parents' answers. But when such answers are missing, then outsiders and peers fill the gaps with their own answers. Answers that will get your teen child pregnant very soon.

So parents, do not delegate your responsibility to strangers. Teach your pikin.
@J0E, thank you for this great contribution. You've said it all.
I'll want to say there are no moral standards and values in our society. I definitely agree with your point... The foundation built from home. I don't see any reason why parents cannot open up and be totally honest with their kids about s*x. At that tender age, whatever you tell them sticks. And when those children go out into the world where everything goes, they'll want to know if they(the parents) were totally honest, or not.
The Bible says "train up a child in the way he should go, and when he's old, he'll not depart from it".
And I love your final words... 'teach your pikin'. It's the best advice. We can't rely on the school teacher, Sunday school teacher, friends, or the media to do the work.
Luvly31
Senior

February 23rd, 2018, 9:20 am

eMade wrote:Great points. Communication barrier need to be removed before parents can guide their children.
@eMade, thanks. That's the first and major point to note. And it has to be dealt with, else other individuals out there will take up the responsibility, which in turn might not turn out good.
Most children actually want to be open to their parents/guardians, but the parents on the other hand aren't willing to.
I don't understand if they are shy, or if they are trying to protect their kids from just being silent.
Luvly31
Senior

February 23rd, 2018, 9:21 am

Xplicit wrote::good: :clap:
:w': :hi:
Hotsaint
VIP VIP

February 23rd, 2018, 1:46 pm

great post.
there is a lot of work to be done by parents
Stream my latest song
https://open.spotify.com/artist/5nGO87k ... =copy-link