Hobbies and Interests on Your CV (Resume) Say A Lot About You!

Aptitude test guides, GMAT, TOEFL samples, solution and discussions for job recruitment, online assessments, practical tips that will help you pass these competence screening exams. Discussions and Tips on How to write CV (Curriculum Vitae) and Resumes, Including Mistakes and Guides
Comment
Jegz
Senior

May 22nd, 2011, 10:01 pm

What are the hobbies and interests you listed in your CV (resume)? Do you know they say a lot about you? And they can affect your chances of getting hired? I will start by sharing an experience but my primary aim is to help graduates and job seekers out there, because I know what they are going through.
hobbies cv resume.png
The experience: A job seeker submits application for a banking job and wishes to be called for an interview/test, but going through the CV, you will be surprised when you see her hobbies/interest:
Dancing, Partying and Cooking! :shkd:
I mean, OMG! Who cares if you are the party type or you will make a good house wife/cook as a prospective employee of a corporate organisation such as banks? This kind of graduate is not focused I can say. All these hobbies are telling us is that this applicant is the party and possibly ostentatious type and unserious too.

But on a serious note, even if you don't regularly do them, or have the time to do them at all, put hobbies/interests that arerelevant to your application and that will portray you as a serious minded fellow who is most suitable for the job.

I will share a few good hobbies (please add more), and their possible good implications on the way anyone reviewing your CV will percieve your person:

1. Football, basketball or any other outdoor team games: Your passion for such activities as these games portrays you as a good team player who will find it usual and easy to work with others as a team to achieve a common goal. Tell me, ain't that a good reputation?

2. Chess, scrabble and other mind/puzzle games: Such games will portray you as a problem-solving person, who thinks analytically and has the mental capacity to solve puzzling and tough problems. Every employer needs such an employee.

3. Meeting new people: This will advertise your passion to meet new people/customers and the ease with which you get along with new people, and also your eagerness to work/do business with them. I mean, this is good for business, and is recommended for all customer service related jobs.

4. Reading: This is good as it shows you like learning, I mean you are never tired of learning, and you have the mental capacity to learn new things. This is good mainly for trainees positions.

5. Computers/The Internet: For technical positions, a passion for computers and the internet may just set you apart as someone who is most likely to be abreast of latest developments etc. You love discoveries and innovations.

In conclusion, please do not lie in your CV. Do not put Chess as a hobbie if you can't play. Your interviewer may just hunt you down if he has similar interests by the time he asks you what Sicilian Dragon means. Hullo to the GMs reading my post. :clap:

Secondly, pay more attention to your CV, as its like your first impression. Employers are not interested in wether you can dance or sleep or cook, they are only interested in how much you are suitable for their organisation and how much value you can bring in and add.

I wish you good luck, and Godspeed.
- Jegz!

Please add more, or post a comment if you love my post! A thank you will go a long way! :hi:

Please share...

"Many of us are not living our dreams simply because we are busy living our fears" - Les Brown
kuskurous
Junior

May 23rd, 2011, 7:44 am

An eye-opener. Where does your inspiration come from? Thanks anyway. Please what of 'travelling'?
Pinkie

May 23rd, 2011, 5:17 pm

Tnx so much 4 your write up. I'v learnt alot!
kondo
Senior

July 6th, 2011, 10:51 am

Very nice one.
Pls what of:
travelling, cleaning and helping others?
Jegz
Senior

July 10th, 2011, 11:31 pm

Thanks guys
"Many of us are not living our dreams simply because we are busy living our fears" - Les Brown
molo
Junior

August 18th, 2011, 2:23 am

nice work. we need more tips pls :clap:
We men rule d world... Women are our property....
eMade
VIP VIP

August 24th, 2011, 12:11 pm

Lets keep helping and upbuilding others. God will reward you all.
Learn more about ✓ VIP Members: https://www.bestnaija.ng/61848 ✓ Referral: https://www.bestnaija.ng/62508
omolomo
Senior

March 22nd, 2012, 11:36 am

biutiful
I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
9jaguy
Senior

December 30th, 2012, 7:19 am

Jegz wrote: Do not put Chess as a hobbie if you can't play. Your interviewer may just hunt you down if he has similar interests by the time he asks you what Sicilian Dragon means. Hullo to the GMs reading my post.
Bravo! How about Alekhine's gun? I love chess too. :hi:
Jegz
Senior

May 6th, 2018, 8:55 am

uwah kelechi lydia wrote:Format for cv writing
See https://bestnaija.ng/how-write-eff ... sume-t1272

#Evergreen.
Comment
  • See also...
    Comments
    Views
    Last post
  • Information