COVID-19: Education, and Other Sectors - Where Lies Our Priority?

Literature, online surveys, research, academia, online questionnaires, knowledge sharing, polls, projects, theses, seminars and presentations.
Comment
Izunna Okafor
Senior

September 3rd, 2020, 4:40 pm

By John Nwosu and Joseph Omoke
Coronavirus
Coronavirus
With the outbreak of the novel coronavirus in the country which caused the economy and other major sectors of the country like the aviation, transportation and educational sector to shut down.

Though most sectors are already reopening amid the pandemic that seems like it has come to stay, the educational sector has since remained closed except for the classes writing the external exam (WAEC); people are beginning to wonder when the education sector of the country would be reopened if other sectors are already opened.

The Minister of State for Education, Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba during the Presidential Tasks Force (PTF) briefing said “The federal government has not released a particular date for the resumption of schools, although it continues to engage stakeholders and is optimistic that school would resume soon.”

He added “Students are to exercise more patience as the government is considering reopening of school after months of closure due to the coronavirus pandemic. He gave the assurance that the Federal Ministry of Education is working with stakeholders for safe reopening of schools.”

Meanwhile there has been an ongoing ASUU strike before the pandemic, due to the government’s inability to meet the union’s demands. The Academic staff Union of Universities has also come out to say that it's suicidal to reopen schools now because universities are not well equipped to deal with COVID-19.

Voicing their opinions about the strike and the contradicting thoughts of the government and ASUU on reopening of schools, people had various things to say with majority saying that the government and ASUU just have plans of turning the situation for their favour.

“In my opinion I can't say whether the government actions are right or wrong but I do understand that keeping schools shut isn't a terrible idea because unlike churches and markets and airports where people just walk through schools have people living in it people from all parts of Nigeria will be coming back some carrying the virus to populated parts of the school and then students taking it back to their corners of Nigeria when school closed," said Ogbo Arthur from Awka.

"Basically, it would be an efficient way to reestablish the corona virus in our country," he added.

Chidera from Asaba though had a different opinion about the issue. She said, “All I can say about this is that the body ASUU is using the educational sector for their selfish reasons. I believe other sectors that are open are filled with humans, first the business sector opened and I thought it’s good so parents can get back financially on their feet so they can meet the educational need when it arises.

"So ASUU coming up to say its suicidal to open varsities is absurd because it’s so obvious that they are putting hold on the educational sector of the country for their dubious needs. COVID-19 will not go immediately, what the body should do is to find possible means to flow along with it.”

Baring his mind, Mr. Ugonna Ugoeze from Owerri said “Looking at the way things work in Nigeria, it will be "suicidal" to open schools now. There may not be proper planning to ensure that all preventive measures like wearing of proper face masks, washing of hands, social distancing etc., are adhered to. Government decided to open up other sectors because our economy depends on them and I think it is the right thing to do.”

Taiwo, a resident of Lagos State and student of Lagos State University (LASU) believes there is a way the issue can be handled.
He says, “Opening schools right now implies opening both primary and secondary schools; and most primary and secondary schools in my area aren't well equipped to follow the preventive measures as directed by NCDC. Opening airports and train stations, I think they generate revenue to the economy; and those places, I'm sure they will follow the guidelines.

"I also feel there is still higher risk of students contracting the virus. Let's not say because the younger ones have higher chance of survival we should damn the preventive measures or follow them partially; most persons won't follow the guidelines. I feel they could come up with a conducive strategy like my school Lagos State University (LASU), 200l and 500l students are to resume first and they have lectures for just Mondays and Tuesdays, while 100l, 300l, 400l have lectures on Wednesdays and Thursdays for a period of 9am-3pm, you must wash your hands before entering and must put on a nose mask. I think strategies like this can help curtail the spread. If most schools reopen without all these guidelines put in place, I think reopening of schools will be suicidal.”

Making reference to others schools in the country that have already reopened and some continuing with only classes, Ms. Judith Ogbonnia claims that reopening of school isn’t entirely in the hands of the government.
“Well, I don't think the opening of schools is completely in the hands of the government; if you look at it very well, schools that aren't under ASUU are already in session. I just think that ASUU is saying this is because of this recent IPPIS thing, they are not in support of it and maybe that's why they're extending the resumption of schools under them,” she says.

A Port Harcourt respondent who simply identifies himself as Uchechi thinks “the reason they haven't reopened schools is because they don’t generate revenue from there. The sectors they are reopening are sectors that generate revenue to the country; if they don’t open them we will start complaining of hunger and the rest. If school wants to reopen it's up to the school management to decide if they can handle the situation, and they will be held responsible if anything happens.”

“Opening other sectors and leaving school isn't right, I think government is doing this because of their own selfish reason or interest. Those places they reopened it's what will generate revenue for them they are putting it like school is where there's higher risk of spreading the virus forgetting that markets and other places have been opened, where people even no longer follow rules or wear facemask or avoid social gatherings. In fact, even weddings and other activities have returned to normalcy," he concludes.

"Government hasn't settled ASUU yet; they are just beating around the bush. If they say schools should reopen only primary and secondary will with private universities, federal universities won't because ASUU is still on strike. If only primary and secondary schools open most students of federal universities will start rioting which might not be a peaceful one,” Pamela Okeke adds from Port Harcourt.

In support of Pamela's view, Chiamaka Ikeliani from Abuja says “Reopening of other sectors in the country and not reopening schools is wrong. This virus we are talking about, I don't think it respects any sector. If campaigns could go on in Edo State and they are thinking of doing elections, then why can't they reopen schools?

"I feel the government has have ulterior motives. If schools reopen without waiting for government's go ahead orders, there will be a problem. The ASUU strike is a problem too.

"Even if ASUU says reopening of schools is suicidal, let's not forget churches, markets, airports are opened too. Aren't those places suicidal? We Nigerians aren't good in following guidelines. People still find it hard to wear their nose mask properly; but one thing I think is the reason why they haven't reopened school is because if anything happens to anyone, it's the school authority that will be held responsible, and that might be what they are trying to avoid.”

Precious from Awka has a different opinion on the issue anyway; she claims “Nigeria is a copycat that never copies right. From the beginning of the pandemic we have been following what other countries have been doing. As other countries went into lockdown we followed immediately, we weren't prepared for it; that's why during that period, there was alarming increase in the rate of hunger. As other countries started reopening, we followed too.

"If you check, other countries haven't resumed schools; they are still conducting their online classes, so Nigeria is waiting for when developed countries open their schools then we do the same. We are scared on the next step to take; checking developed countries, they opened up their sectors so they can add more revenue to their economy.

"Analyzing this in the educational standard, schools consists the primary, secondary and tertiary. At the primary and secondary level, I feel the government thinks students won't be able to take proper care of themselves, following the guidelines; there will be loopholes as most of them will be nonchalant and all that. At the tertiary level, putting ASUU aside, the youths will be able to take care of themselves more than the younger ones.

"ASUU claims reopening of school now would be suicidal, but that’s not true. Every sector in the country has its advantages and disadvantages. Financial sector is opened, markets are opened to generate more money for the country —the one day on and off at market is still in places like Lagos. Here in Anambra, we trade daily. It's not fair other sectors will be opened and the education sector is not. If they think the education sector is not as important as other sectors and still leave it closed, then they are wrong again because this close down of schools is affecting students’ lives, and they say the youths are the leaders of tomorrow. I wonder how they’d lead if they are still stuck in school.

"If the fear be that reopening of schools would cause for the increment of infected persons, youths know they need to follow all guidelines; nobody wants to die. I feel we Nigerians just copy what others are doing like I said earlier."

Emeka, a resident of Enugu added (reinforcing the points Precious made) “It's really wrong for government to open other sectors of the country and leave education out; why I think they are doing it that way, I feel they are trying to put money in their pockets.

"Nigeria at the point now is almost collapsing. Can you believe the former Vice President of Nigeria Atiku Abubarka had to write a message to the present Senate President to prevent the President of the country from borrowing any other money to boost the economy of the country; it’s that bad.

" I guess they are only trying to boost the economy of the country, that's why they opened up places that will generate money. But the educational sector is also very important in the country. Imagine having delayed curriculum for a year, what do you think it will do the students' future?

"If they could implement measures at airports, markets, and churches, why can't they do the same at schools? The fact that they keep having weekly reviews on when school will resume (while nothing is done yet) clearly shows that they aren't worried about children at home."

"On the ongoing strike with ASUU, he said, "The Union doesn't know where it’s going, they too just care about their pockets. Even if they said reopening of schools is suicidal, let them not forget markets and other places are opened and individually, they visit these places. If they are advising the government that resuming school isn't good, why then do they remind them of their pending issues too. Truth be told, they are just using that as an avenue to remind government that they haven't settled them that even if they said school should reopen, they won't comply because their needs are not met yet.

"If places that generate money for the country could be opened, schools should be opened too because these children are our future, and leaders of tomorrow too.”

Please share...

Izunna Okafor:
Novelist, Poet, Essayist , Journalist, publicist, Translator, Columnist and Igbo Language Activist
eMade
VIP VIP

September 4th, 2020, 5:56 am

Real good for thoughts.
Learn more about ✓ VIP Members: https://www.bestnaija.ng/61848 ✓ Referral: https://www.bestnaija.ng/62508
makavelli25
VIP VIP

September 4th, 2020, 7:17 am

Nice. Really nice write up
redeem and buy coins at a very good rate. just send a message,I reply in seconds
Dube
VIP VIP

September 5th, 2020, 7:58 am

This corona has cause more harm to education
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/chukwubunna
Twitter- https://www.twitter.com/@Lucky87284882
TitanKenneth
VIP VIP

November 16th, 2020, 12:39 am

:clap:
Follow me on facebook "Titan Kenneth".
https://mobile.facebook.com/profile.php ... speed_dial