[BREAKING] Igboho: Why I relocated to Benin Republic -Prof Akintoye

Share and discuss local Naija and international breaking news and major news plus current affairs from the world scene.
Comment
IFEANYIUCHENDU
Senior

August 8th, 2021, 10:01 pm

The leader of the umbrella body of Yoruba Self-Determination Groups, Ilana Omo Oodua, Prof. Banji Akintoye, has reacted to media reports that he has left Nigeria to escape the plots of the Nigerian Government to arrest him.

Akintoye confirmed to The PUNCH that he is in the Republic of Benin, but “not on the run”.

The Emeritus Professor of History said he is in the Francophone country to coordinate and supervise how to “legally rescue” the detained Yoruba Nation activist, Sunday Adeyemo, fondly called Sunday Ighoho, from the government remand as soon as possible.

Akintoye, a member of the Nigerian Senate in the Second Republic, said “just like Ighoho”, he has committed no offence against the Nigerian laws to warrant being arrested, intimidated, or harassed.

Akintoye vowed to return to Nigeria as soon as Ighoho is released by the government of Benin Republic to continue the struggle for the actualisation of Yoruba Nation, saying “it is no retreat, no surrender.”

“Myself, the President-General and Professor Wale Adeniran (Chairman) of Ilana Omo Oodua, are currently in the Republic of Benin as reported, but not on the run.

Read Also
Igboho's asylum: Why Obasanjo, Ooni, Olubadan, others intervened -Afenifere
Igboho: FG plots Akintoye’s arrest, Obasanjo meets Republic of Benin President
Afenifere kicks as court demands 24 sureties for Igboho’s associates’ bail
“We are here to supervise and coordinate, by all legal and other means, the struggle for the release of our son and patriot, Sunday Adeyemo Igboho, detained by the Government from custody.

“By demanding peaceful self-determination for the Yoruba Nation, I am not breaking any law, since self-determination is recognized by the International and Nigerian laws to be an inalienable right of every Nationality, large or small, in the world.

“I have earned a solid reputation as a highly respected advocate of a peaceful self-determination struggle. I have even written a book on the subject which is already being used as a manual by Yoruba self-determination advocates and organizations.

“Irrespective of what the Nigerian Government may be planning against me, I want to say without any fear or intimidation that I will be returning to Nigeria immediately Ighoho is released from custody. I can’t be intimidated because I’ve not committed any offense, just like Sunday Igboho.

“Let me tell all Yoruba People across the world that there’s no cause for alarm. I didn’t flee anywhere. I am in Benin Republic running your errands. The struggle is no retreat, no surrender,” the Yoruba Nation arrowhead said in a statement by his Communications Manager, Mr. Maxwell Adeleye.

https://punchng.com/breaking-igboho-why ... ntoye/?amp

Please share...

Comment
  • See also...
    Comments
    Views
    Last post
  • Information