My Experience at Nigeria's Largest and Best Music School - Tenstrings Music Institute ~ Ngozi

General discussions, uncategorized topics, random topics, random posts all go here
Comment
ngozi234

July 23rd, 2021, 1:38 pm

Sometime in 2017 when I finally decided to pursue music as a life-long career, I realized the most essential tool I need for success is professional training. I needed a well equiped music school that teaches the skills that are relevant to my success in music.

I followed the recommendation of a friend to check out Tenstrings Music Institute. So I visited two of their study centers in Lagos. One remarkable thing I discovered during my tour of the school was how engaged and excited their students were. I saw a pool of vibrant young people engaged in rehearsals and group music works. I sense this might be the right place to be. I enrolled for their one year Diploma Program in Music Production. This i will say is one of the best decisions I ever took towards my music career. Tenstrings wasn't just a school, it offered me a platform and a community.

In summary, I will list below 10 reasons why Tenstrings is the best music school of choice in Nigeria for those intending to pursuing a career in music.

NOTE: In addition to my one year stay in the school, I also conducted an extensive research about the institution with the support of fellow students and some staff of Tenstrings before writing this article.

1. Focus:

All the programs and training programs at Tenstrings Music Institute are grouped into just two categories: 'Music Performance and :Music Production'. It's a career-focused academy where all their efforts are put into preparing you to become either a very successful music performer or music producer.

2. Accreditation/Affiliation/Connect:

Tenstrings Music Institute is duly registered and accredited in Nigeria and also incorporated and trading the UK as "Africa Heritage Academy Ltd". Tenstrings is in partnership with several organizations around the world. They are the Nigerian representative and agent of a number of global music bodies, such as RSL Awards, United Pop and Navitas.

3. Curriculum:

Tenstrings adopts a robust and all-encompassing music curriculum. It follows international music education standards in developing a well crafted, always-evolving curriculum. Even though focused on Performance and Production, Tenstrings covers all courses and grounds required to be well-rounded in the two career paths.

Courses taught at Tenstrings include:

a. Voice Training
b. Musical Instruments (Piano, Guitar,
Drums, Bass Guitar, Saxophone,
Violin)
c. Songwriting
d. Music Business
e. Audio Technology
f. Music Production
g. Recording, Mixing and Mastering
h. Dance
I. Disc Jockeying
j. Video Editing

The courses at Tenstrings runs between 3 months and 18 months, depending on how deep you want to study and the financial resources available to you.

4. School Programs and Activations:

Tenstrings believes that skills are best caught than taught. Hence about 70% of its programs are woven around several well-crafted programs and activations geared towards demonstrating and practicalizing most of the skills taught in the classroom. Tenstrings' approach is to have a perfect simulation of the music industry in delivering its courses. The following are some of the major events and activities at Tenstrings Music Institute:

a. Tenstrings Ones2watch : This is a monthly live music show that brings together hundreds of music fans at one of Lagos most renowned arts and culture venues - Freedom Park Lagos. At the point of writing this article, 20 successful editions of this show have been held.

b. RSL Exams: Before a diploma or advanced diploma can be awarded to any student of Tenstrings, they are required to take the Rockschool (RSL) examination. Rockschool is the world’s first and largest contemporary performing arts examiners and qualification provider. They pride themselves on delivering the most academically rigorous and industry relevant qualifications, designed to support all aspiring musicians, performers, educators and teaching establishments – wherever they may be.

There are three categories of Rockschool Exams that you can take in Nigeria at Tenstrings:

i. Graded Music Exams (these musical instrument exams from Premier to Grade 8, instruments covered include; Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Bass, Drums, Vocals, Piano & Keyboard, Ukulele)

ii. Music Theory Exams (from Debut to Grade 8)

iii. Music Production Exams (from Grade 1 to Grade 8)

c. International Career Summit: It’s an annual programme that Is organized by Tenstrings Music Institute Nigeria in partnership with University of West London and Rockschool UK, with the sole aim of empowering young people in Africa who dream of pursuing careers in the music industry.

d. StarMingle: This is another unforgettable event that takes place in the school. On quarterly bases they bring popular and very successful musicians to mingle with the stars in the making at the academy. They sing and dine together, share ideas, interact, and get inspired. There is nothing more interesting than this for an upcoming act!

e. Music Kamp Afrika: MUSIC KAMP AFRIKA is a three-day camping event organised to assemble music-loving youths from all over Africa at a private beach resort in Lagos, during which they collaborate to create and showcase outstanding music projects. Participants are given the right environment to create, connect with other talents and be inspired by visiting mentors.

f. Gospel breakfast: The Gospel Breakfast program is the long tradition at Tenstrings Music Institute: The Show holds 1st Monday of every month at the Ikeja Center and 3rd Mondays at the Lekki/Ajah Center. It is designed to showcase the best of the schools rising gospel artists and also serves a time for the school to fellowship together. I always experienced a heartfelt worship session and inspiring music performances during this program.

G. The HippyJams: is Tenstrings' platform to showcase up-and-coming artistes within and outside the institute. Performances ranges from Hip hop, R&B, Dance Hall, Reggae, Jazz, Pop, Soul, etc. Live performances and backing tracks are allowed. It holds every 1st Friday of the month at the Ikeja Center and holds every last Friday of the month at the Surulere Center.

H. Graduation Ceremony: Tenstrings closes each academic year with a grand graduation and awards ceremony, where all students of Tenstrings from all their centers who successfully completed their Programs are certified and the best students awarded. At the time of writing this article Tenstrings has successfully had 13 indelible Graduation ceremonies.

5. Multiple Campuses:

Tenstrings currently runs in six campuses - Lekki/Ajah, Ikeja, Festac Town, Surulere, Abuja and Port Harcourt. This unarguably makes Tenstrings Nigeria's largest and best-spread music school. Interestingly, this offers students from any particular center unrestricted access to all other centers, to take learns and network with other students.

6. Affordability:

Compared to the prices of their international counterparts, Tenstrings tuition fees are some of the most affordable in the world, with flexible payment plans.

7. Community/Platform:

Tenstrings offers their students a strong community to support their careers. At Tenstrings you will meet and collaborate with students from different African countries who have come to study; they represent diverse cultures and talents you can benefit from. As a well connected school, Tenstrings also offers students a strong industry platform and opportunities to thrive.

8. Facility and Faculty

Each of Tenstrings campuses has got well equiped classrooms and world-class recording digital and live studios, as well as rehearsal halls where students collectively rehearse and create music. Tenstrings only engages practicing professional as instructors or lecturers. The faculty is made up of seasoned industry professionals. Tenstrings does not engage people who are strictly in the academia, it rather engages music industry professionals who are practicing and thriving in their careers to teach and share their skills with students.

9. Qualification:

Tenstrings qualifications are recognized around the world and respected in the industry. Because of its international affiliations, Tenstrings also has several qualifications which are jointly delivered by these partners, and provides student the opportunity to leverage on these qualifications to further their careers or education.

10. Accommodation Facility:

Tenstrings enrols students from at least 16 countries. This has made the institute invest in quality and affordable accommodation facilities over the years to meet the needs of this distant students.

I'm sure if you research further you will find more exciting reasons to go check out this amazing school and make it your place of choice for your career development in music.

Thanks for reading!

Ngozi Okeke
Ngozi.okeke234@gmail.com

Image[/img]
IMG-4848.JPG
IMG-4844.JPG
IMG-4856.JPG

Please share...

Coded20
VIP VIP

July 23rd, 2021, 8:08 pm

Interesting..