Nigeria government suspends Twitter operations in the country

Discussions and news on the Internet, Web Design and Development, Webmasters And Related Topics
Comment

Nigeria's Twitter Ban: What's Your Take?

You may select 1 option

View results
NiceGuy
Senior

June 4th, 2021, 6:26 pm

Nigerian govt suspends Twitter ‘indefinitely’
Mr Mohammed has for long championed the call for regulation of social media in the country, claiming the platforms are used to spew hate.
- By Ayodeji Adegboyega - June 4, 2021
images - 2021-06-04T183236.226.jpeg
The Nigerian government says it has suspended, indefinitely, the operations of the microblogging and social networking service, Twitter, in the country.

This comes after Twitter deleted a controversial post by President Muhammadu Buhari referencing the country’s civil war, and threatening to treat those attacking government buildings “with the language they understand”.
“Those of us in the fields for 30 months, who went through the war, will treat them in the language they understand,” he wrote on Tuesday.
In a statement issued on Friday, the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, announced the suspension of Twitter, citing the alleged use of the platform for activities that are capable of undermining Nigeria’s corporate existence.

According to the statement signed by Special Assistant To The President, Segun Adeyemi, the minister said the Federal Government has also directed the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) to immediately commence the process of licensing all social media operations in Nigeria.

Mr Mohammed had earlier claimed the social media site’s response to Nigeria was “suspect”.

Mr Mohammed has for long championed the call for regulation of social media in the country, claiming the platforms are used to spew hate.
FG Suspends Twitter’s Operations in Nigeria

The Federal Government has suspended, indefinitely, the operations of the microblogging and social networking service, Twitter, in Nigeria.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, announced the suspension in a statement issued in Abuja on Friday,
citing the persistent use of the platform for activities that are capable of undermining Nigeria’s corporate existence.

The Minister said the Federal Government has also directed the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) to immediately commence the process of licensing all OTT and social media operations in Nigeria.

Segun Adeyemi
Special Assistant To The President (Media)
Office of the Minister of Information and Culture
Abuja
4 June 2021
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/hea ... itely.html

Please share...

I'm really not that nice... :mrgreen:
eMade
VIP VIP

June 4th, 2021, 6:38 pm

This one choke! :thnk: :lol;
Learn more about ✓ VIP Members: https://www.bestnaija.ng/61848 ✓ Referral: https://www.bestnaija.ng/62508
yaroummu
VIP VIP

June 4th, 2021, 6:48 pm

Me am confused o,is it that we can no longer access twitter or what
Cool me
AK Horsfall
VIP VIP

June 4th, 2021, 6:52 pm

E choke 😂😂
I'm a living success and from a Royal Priesthood.
Dube
VIP VIP

June 4th, 2021, 7:02 pm

This UAR Na f*k up
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/chukwubunna
Twitter- https://www.twitter.com/@Lucky87284882
Bella12

June 4th, 2021, 7:23 pm

Nigeria my country. What shall we not see?
Kelceeboy
VIP VIP

June 4th, 2021, 7:25 pm

Nawa o.
E choke
DM Let's Vibes Naughty :wink:
Elvisjnr

June 4th, 2021, 8:11 pm

I don't know what to say but I think the FG needs to think about this before going to a conclusion.. Twitter is one of the most popular and most used social media for various aspect. Let me end here 🤐🤐
Gloria50
VIP VIP

June 4th, 2021, 8:14 pm

What!!! This is serious
Telephone
yaroummu
VIP VIP

June 4th, 2021, 8:33 pm

Bella12 wrote: June 4th, 2021, 7:23 pm Nigeria my country. What shall we not see?
Point of correction,its United African Republic
Cool me
Deon
VIP VIP

June 4th, 2021, 8:52 pm

E don tey FG put twitter for mind.
since the days of #EndSars.
An eye for an eye left thousands blind,
remember that......
NWACHINEMERE1

June 4th, 2021, 10:41 pm

Do we have another "APRIL FOOL " in June ? I just sent something to my Twitter here in Nigeria. Who is banning Who ?
Floxyijeoma1
Junior

June 5th, 2021, 8:10 am

And the liar used twitter to make this announcement. I can see irresponsible old men as leaders covering up their dirty ways of living.
Agent1
Senior

June 18th, 2021, 11:00 pm

Nawah ooo
Not nice
Nnee
Junior

June 22nd, 2021, 4:15 pm

No be only twitter he for ban Facebook too. A failed country indeed
Comment
  • See also...
    Comments