Entrepreneurship 101 Dummies.

Discussions on businesses and entrepreneurship: news, starting tips, ideas, challenges, proposals, plans
Comment
mscrackles

June 20th, 2012, 3:18 pm

Hello :) I am kind of new here. I registered to become a member of this forum because I believe it is a gathering of present NYSC members and ex-corps members who have a wealth of experience in the fields they are specialized in.

However, before I state the purpose of this thread, I would like you to know that the use of the word 'Dummies' is in no way intended to insult anyone, it's just a word that can accurately describe a person who is new to an idea and the experiences that come with this idea :)

I rounded of NYSC in February this year and I was amazed at the number of unemployed youths that appear for interviews. As a solution to this I opted to build up a business plan and find a mentor I can look up to, instead of waiting for a white collar job.

I know most would be entrepreneurs think that getting capital to start a business is a major challenge, but I beg to differ because I know that if you do not have a carefully planned business plan then you are planning to go fail if the capital is eventually provided for the startup.

I would like this thread to be a topic of interest for would be entrepreneurs and established entrepreneurs amongs us. Please feel free to post your startup experiences, also feel free to drop a word of advice for those looking to start a business or even if you are a resource person with experience in things like this, your contribution will go along way in helping someone.

[ via Android ]

Please share...

eMade
VIP VIP

June 20th, 2012, 4:01 pm

You got a perfect post here. The importance of a perfect biz plan canot be overemphasized when it comes to biz success. Lets plan to create jobs instead of searching for one. Plan to let money work for you, instead of you for money. :good:

[ m ]
Learn more about ✓ VIP Members: https://www.bestnaija.ng/61848 ✓ Referral: https://www.bestnaija.ng/62508
mscrackles

June 20th, 2012, 5:14 pm

Yes, I agree with you. I admit it is not easy starting up a business, but I know the initial hurdles won't matter if eventually success is recorded. I started this thread because I know there are people who will benefit from the experiences of other entrepreneurs. Nice to meet you.

[ via Android ]
Yehmmy
Senior

June 20th, 2012, 8:21 pm

Nice write-up. I equally enjoyed an article written here @ http://www.bestnaija.ng/3-roadblocks-s ... t2250.html by another inspired member.
Keep up the good work, @Mscrackles. Hoping to tap a lotta knowledge from ya.

[ m ]
If your enemy is hungry, show him Mr BIGGS!
Boma
Senior

June 21st, 2012, 8:40 am

@mscracles! I love u (male or female...wateva). You've really been sensible up there. You pick your words so carefully. Actually not everyone can be entrepreneural. And even many of the few ones jst dabble into businesses they know nothing about especially those with the initial capital. Yo welcome to the community and hoping to get more from you. 'Let me now take you on a visit to the king of the community' #Winks

[ m ]
ibo_boi
Junior

June 21st, 2012, 11:21 am

weldone bro. :clap: :clap: :clap:
If you do me I do you...
mscrackles

June 21st, 2012, 3:56 pm

@ Boma, I understand that not everyone is cut out to be an entrepreneur. But this should not rule out the possibilty of earning money outside the monthly income.

Investments can be made in profitable ventures which will yield extra income for the person who decides to invest in a business and not dabble into something he knows not how to run.

@ Ibo-boi and Boma, thanks for your input. BTW I am female.

[ via Android ]
Jegz
Senior

June 21st, 2012, 10:42 pm

Am sooooo impressed. :hi:
"Many of us are not living our dreams simply because we are busy living our fears" - Les Brown
mscrackles

June 22nd, 2012, 9:59 am

You can check out this websites, it has alot of helpful articles on entrepreneurship.

On these websites you can get extensive guidiance on how to write a business plan, check list for starting a business amongs other things.

With time I will be sharing some of my business ideas (atleast the basics) etc. But that would depend on how active this thread is.

Could not post the links.

[ via Android ]
Bestnaija
Senior

June 22nd, 2012, 10:06 am

mscrackles wrote:Could not post the links.
Take a peep at http://www.bestnaija.ng/posting-url-li ... t8038.html
Thats why you couldnt post the links. Thanks for sharing.
If you so desire in the meantime to share your websites etc, make these into your signature which appear bello every post of yours and in your profile. Good luck! :good:
Welcome to Bestnaija.ng Community...
eship

July 9th, 2012, 5:05 pm

Why not get a job and start a business simultaneously? That way starting your business will seem less intimidating.
Yehmmy
Senior

July 9th, 2012, 5:38 pm

eship wrote:Why not get a job and start a business simultaneously? That way starting your business will seem less intimidating.
Great point. Starting a biz while still working is the best combinative start ever. Anyone read 'Before You Quit Your Job' by Robert Kiyosaki?

[ m ]
mscrackles

July 15th, 2012, 8:13 pm

@ eship, Having a job and running a business would be a good idea, depending on the nature of the business.
However, I started this thread to motivate people who have the zeal to start a business and not wait on the Government to provide jobs for them.
Whether we choose to admit it or not, the Government can not employ everyone.
Most of the private companies we all submit CVs to are built by entrepreneurs. If you have noticed, most of these companies already have a number of staff that they are satisfied with.
If we can not create jobs, then we should not just expect to wake up and get any well paying job we want before we consider having businesses along side the jobs.

[ via Android ]
Yehmmy
Senior

July 18th, 2012, 8:42 pm

Topic classified as impressive, relevant and thus 'stickied.' :wink:

[ m ]
Miw

November 24th, 2012, 6:05 am

@ mscrackles:
you did great, setting up this thread and inn deciding to take the proverbial "bull by the horns," regarding your life and future, so plenty kudos. :good:
im soooo glad you chose to start with a business plan and to get a mentor, i can see, especially
from your comments that this entrepreneurial path has increased your capacity for success..
And yes, government, no matter their good intentions, cannot provide jobs for every unemployed Nigerian so have to buckle-up. Most of us (Nigerian youth) shy away from the demands of running a legitimate business, forgetting the benefits and success possibilities of same. Forgetting also that entrepreneurship does not belong to a select few, it can be learned!
The question arises, do you continually want to, "feed" or "be fed," "employ" or "be employed," be "independent" or be "dependent"?
Now, as a contribution...
Contrary to popular opinion, and like you pointed out, lack of funding is not the no. 1 need of the Nigerian business person, whether just starting or having run the business for some time.
Over 10 years combined experience of starting and running some businesses, for myself and helping clients do same, shows that the no.1 Need of the Nigerian business person is a lack of KNOW-HOW...
For instance;
Many people are not sure what their next move should be or how to go about it;
Most people who have funds to start a business are not sure what area to go into while most of those who think they do not have funds to start may just need redirection towards certain possibilities;
Most would-be business owners/start-ups don't even know what steps to take in starting a business in the first place;
Most would-be business owners/start-ups do not know that it is crucial to get relevant info about the area they want to start a business in;
Most would-be business owners/start-ups do not realize that it is extremely important to get place their plans in writing, not just locked-up in their heads...
I could go on but I think the point is made..
Self-employment is a surer bet and know-how should be a business owner/starter's 1st priority!
Hope this helps?!
-----
...lets make it work!
mscrackles

December 6th, 2012, 4:47 pm

Thank you for your response Miw. I thought this thread has packed up and gathered dust :)

Thank you for sharing your views. I will be back to give you guys feedback on the journey so far. Adios.

Android
Detor
Junior

December 6th, 2012, 5:06 pm

Miw wrote:Self-employment is a surer bet
I like that. To self-employ is just the bet. It will give you your life back.
Tekno

March 9th, 2014, 8:04 am

Miw wrote:@ mscrackles:
you did great, setting up this thread and inn deciding to take the proverbial "bull by the horns," regarding your life and future, so plenty kudos. :good:
im soooo glad you chose to start with a business plan and to get a mentor, i can see, especially
from your comments that this entrepreneurial path has increased your capacity for success..
And yes, government, no matter their good intentions, cannot provide jobs for every unemployed Nigerian so have to buckle-up. Most of us (Nigerian youth) shy away from the demands of running a legitimate business, forgetting the benefits and success possibilities of same. Forgetting also that entrepreneurship does not belong to a select few, it can be learned!
The question arises, do you continually want to, "feed" or "be fed," "employ" or "be employed," be "independent" or be "dependent"?
Now, as a contribution...
Contrary to popular opinion, and like you pointed out, lack of funding is not the no. 1 need of the Nigerian business person, whether just starting or having run the business for some time.
Over 10 years combined experience of starting and running some businesses, for myself and helping clients do same, shows that the no.1 Need of the Nigerian business person is a lack of KNOW-HOW...
For instance;
Many people are not sure what their next move should be or how to go about it;
Most people who have funds to start a business are not sure what area to go into while most of those who think they do not have funds to start may just need redirection towards certain possibilities;
Most would-be business owners/start-ups don't even know what steps to take in starting a business in the first place;
Most would-be business owners/start-ups do not know that it is crucial to get relevant info about the area they want to start a business in;
Most would-be business owners/start-ups do not realize that it is extremely important to get place their plans in writing, not just locked-up in their heads...
I could go on but I think the point is made..
Self-employment is a surer bet and know-how should be a business owner/starter's 1st priority!
Hope this helps?!
well said. u got points. our economic terrain does not favour small and medium businesses

July 6th, 2014, 1:02 pm

Nice thread. informative. I love this website.
mscrackles

July 7th, 2014, 8:33 am

How is everyone doing?
eMade
VIP VIP

July 7th, 2014, 12:10 pm

Fine. Nice seeing you again.
Learn more about ✓ VIP Members: https://www.bestnaija.ng/61848 ✓ Referral: https://www.bestnaija.ng/62508
Detor
Junior

July 31st, 2016, 8:49 am

With the current state of our economy, rising cost of doing business vis power cost and uncertainty, increasing lending rates, most bus in nesses will die. Thread softly
tetpreneurdotcom

November 11th, 2016, 11:28 pm

Overtime, I came to realise that the hardest part of a thing is the beginning: including business. But, it is worth starting, checking the joy therefore after it is fully grown. My advice to every one(especially students) is to start as early- stop procrastinating. You should do well to visit www.tetpreneur.com today.
jamani
Junior

December 4th, 2016, 6:57 am

What is TBC or THE BILLION COIN. it is an cryptocurrency or internet currency/money use to buy any
product or services to co member of TBC or to the TBC community around the world. The value of TBC is increasing everyday from 1-5%, it never goes down because its value is based on the number of new verified members.. and the number of member always goes up it never goes down.. if you buy 100 TBC today after 1 year your 100 TBC is already worth 1 million or more.

If you buy 50 TBC today in 1 year and 6 months it is already worth 1 million or more.

If you buy 25 TBC today after 2 years it is already worth 1 million or more.

If you buy 10 TBC after 3 years it is already worth 1 million or more..
If you buy 1 TBC today after 5 years it is already worth million or more.

The price officially changes by 1:00pm everyday.
Digital Currency (Crypto Currency) is fast taking over globally as medium of payment (and TBC is establishing it’s place worldwide).
I'm offering at a discount rate of 3k Xmas give out... Offer last till 19th of December...
Hurry now before the price change.
For Enquiry
Whatsapp or call us
+2348127234826
TitanKenneth
VIP VIP

August 10th, 2021, 12:20 pm

AWESOME THREAD
Follow me on facebook "Titan Kenneth".
https://mobile.facebook.com/profile.php ... speed_dial
Sally
Senior