Coronavirus: ShopRite Management Exposing Their Staff To Risk of Covid-19

Post here consumer reviews of things, companies, services, deals and that you know are the very best in Naija under its category.
Comment
Champ123
Senior

March 26th, 2020, 6:45 pm

Except the management of ShopRite in Nigeria don't yet believe the dangers of the Covid-19 pandemic. Or they simply do not care about the welfare of their numerous staff. Especially the paypoint staffs. These staff are at risk of the Covid-19 Coronavirus ravaging the whole world. And ShopRite management don't care. I will explain.
images - 2020-03-26T181946.680.jpeg
Today Thursday 26th March 2020, I visited one of the ShopRite malls in south-western Nigeria. Yes they are not closed because they sell essential stuffs needed even during the partial lockdown to curtail Covid-19 spread.

I had my nose mask on because of the possibly crowded mall. The nose mask is one useful protection both for yourself and people around you.

To my amazement, none of the ShopRite staff had any mask on. What? Not even hand gloves as they all collect and handle cash.

To make matters worse, when the paypoint staff are seated, their face levels are much lower than the shoppers. So, when conversing, the shopper practically talks on them. Droplets!

THE RISKS OF EXPOSURE
1. Face to face conversation with numerous shoppers exposes all the staff to droplet transmissions.
2. Cash handling exposes them to hand to hand transmission via the bank notes. Yes, Nigeria deals in a lot of cash.
3. Exchanging POS terminal for the shopper to input pin has inherent risk.
images - 2020-03-26T182015.214.jpeg
HAND SANITIZER - NOT ENOUGH!
I interviewed one of the staff and he said:

Management said:
1. To use hand sanitizer is sufficient
2. When all staff wear nose mask and hand gloves, it could freak out shoppers. What the! :shkd:

I BEG TO BE DIFFERENT!
1. Hand sanitizers are good. But what of droplets transmission risk when shoppers converse with and talk over your cashiers' faces as they stand on them while your staff is seated? Each of those cashiers is exposed to at least 400 shoppers per day during these busy days! That's too much risk!

2. We shoppers will not freak out when your staff are all kitted up with all the protective gears. Especially nose masks and hand gloves!
On the contrary, it will boost shoppers' confidence and make us more comfortable to shop around the place having known your staff take precautions. So, lack of masks and gloves sends negative message.
images - 2020-03-26T181736.312~2.jpeg
MANAGEMENT INSENSITIVITY!
I count this as insensitivity on the part of the ShopRite management and I call for immediate change. I can escalate this to any level.

Why would you be so unconcerned about the health of your staff who all have families to meet at home just because you don't want to freak out your customers? That's unacceptable.

I call on the federal government and the NCDC to regulate this mall and ensure everyone is catered for during these trying times.

I promised I would escalate this online.

MY RECOMMENDATIONS
1. Let your staff, especially the cashiers at the paypoints always put on their protective nose masks all the time to protect against exposure to droplet transmission from possibly infected shoppers
2. Yes, hand sanitizers for all shoppers as we all your staff are to be continued as usual.
3. The Consumer Protection Agencies of all states should monitor compliance immediately.
4. Hand gloves must be used at all times especially for yeh staff who handle cash. It has been pointed out by WHO 5hat such bank notes do transmit germs between persons. Covid-19 Coronavirus is no exception.

I call on ShopRite management to act immediately or this is escalated until something else happens.

It is the hallmark of a caring management when the health of your Human resources is put ahead and given great priority it deserves. Act now!

Yes, majority of the workers are Nigerians and their life matter!

Please share...

Life is simple. Seriously. :mrgreen:
eMade
VIP VIP

March 26th, 2020, 6:49 pm

Omg! Let's make this go viral!
Learn more about ✓ VIP Members: https://www.bestnaija.ng/61848 ✓ Referral: https://www.bestnaija.ng/62508
AK Horsfall
VIP VIP

March 26th, 2020, 7:25 pm

eMade wrote:Omg! Let's make this go viral!
Very true
I'm a living success and from a Royal Priesthood.
Erudite
Senior

March 27th, 2020, 6:03 am

I hope shoprite management will see this :mrgreen:
AK Horsfall
VIP VIP

March 27th, 2020, 7:49 am

Erudite wrote:I hope shoprite management will see this :mrgreen:
:good:
I'm a living success and from a Royal Priesthood.
TitanKenneth
VIP VIP

November 16th, 2020, 9:58 am

:shkd:
Follow me on facebook "Titan Kenneth".
https://mobile.facebook.com/profile.php ... speed_dial
Comment
  • See also...
    Comments
    Views
    Last post
  • Information